Saturday, November 29, 2008

Christ Only Is the Mediator between God and man, appointed from before all eternity ;

From :
The Geneva Bible
New Testament ,
The Holy Gospel Of Jesus Christ,
According To John Chapter 8

3 The woman taken in adultery,
11 hath her sins forgiven her.

12 Christ the light of the world.

19 The Pharisees ask where his Father is.
39 The sons of Abraham.
42 The sons of God.
44 The devil the father of lying.
56 Abraham saw Christ's day.

1 And Jesus went unto the mount of Olives,

2 And early in the morning came again
into the Temple, and all the people came
unto him, and he sat down and taught them.

3 (1) Then the Scribes and the Pharisees
brought unto him a woman taken in
adultery, and set her in the midst,

(1) Whiles the wicked go about to
make a snare for good men, they make
a snare for themselves.

4 And said unto him, Master, this woman
was taken in adultery, in the very act.

5 (*) Now Moses in the Law commanded
us, that such should be stoned; what
sayest thou therefore?

(*) Leviticus 20:10 .

6 And this they said to tempt him, that
they might have, whereof to (*) accuse
him.
But Jesus stooped down, and with his
finger wrote on the ground.

(*) Either for breaking the Law, if he did
deliver her, or of lightness, and inconstancy,
if he did condemn her.

7 (2) And while they continued asking him,
he lifted himself up, and said unto them,
(*) Let him that is among you without sin,
cast the first stone at her.

(2) Against hypocrites which are very
severe judges against other men, and flatter
themselves in their own sins.

(*) Deuteronomy 17:7 .

8 And again he stooped down, and wrote
on the ground.

9 And when they heard it, being accused
by their own conscience, they went out
one by one, beginning at the eldest even
to the last, so Jesus was left alone, and
the woman standing in the midst.

10 (3) When Jesus had lifted up himself
again, and saw no man, but the woman,
he said unto her, Woman, where are those
thine accusers?
Hath no man condemned thee?

(3) Christ would not take upon him the
civil Magistrate's office, he contented himself
to bring sinners to faith and repentance.

11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said,
(*) Neither do I condemn thee, go and
sin no more.

(*) Jesus would not meddle, but with that
which did appertain to his office, to wit,
to bring sinners to repentance; and therefore
did not abolish the Law against adultery.

12 (4) Then spake Jesus again unto them,
saying, I (*) am the light of the world; he
that followeth me, shall not walk in darkness,
but shall have the () light of life.

(4) The world which is blind in itself,
cannot come to have ray of light but in Christ only.

(*) John 1:5 ; John 9:5 .

() Or, lively light.

13 (5) The Pharisees therefore said unto
him, (a) Thou bearest record of thyself ;
thy record is not (*) true.

(5) Christ is without all exception the best
witness of the truth, for he was sent by his
Father for that purpose, and was by him
approved to the world by infinite miracles.

(*) Or, just.

(a) Thou bearest witness of thyself which
thing by all men's opinion, is naught, and
for a man to commend himself is very
discommendable.

14 (*) Jesus answered, and said unto them,
(b) () Though I bear record of myself,
yet my record is true, for I know whence
I came, and whither I go; but ye cannot
tell () whence I come, and whither I go.

(*) John 5:31 .

(b) That which he denied afore in
John 5:31;
must be taken as a manner of granting,
for in that place he framed himself somewhat
to the humor of his hearers, which
acknowledged nothing in Christ but his
humanity, and therefore he was content
that they should set light by his own witness,
unless it were otherwise confirmed.
But in this place he standeth for the
maintenance of his Godhead, and praiseth
his Father, who is his witness, and agreeth
with him.

() That which Christ denied
John 5:37;
here he granteth, to declare unto them
their stubbornness, and saith that being
God he beareth witness to his humanity;
likewise doeth God the father witness
the same which are two distinct persons,
though but one God.

() In that he came from his father, he
sheweth that he is not only man, but God
also.

15 Ye judge after the flesh;
(*) I (c) judge no man.

(*) He would not judge rashly, as they
did.

(c) I do now only teach you, I condemn
no man; but yet if I lust to do it, I might
lawfully do it, for I am not alone, but my
Father is with me.

16 And if I also judge, my judgment is
true, for I am not alone, but I and the
Father, that sent me.

17 And it is also written in your Law,
(*) that the testimony of two men is true.

(*) Deuteronomy 17:6; Deuteronomy 19:15;
Matthew 18:16; 2 Corinthians 13:1;
Hebrews 10:28 .

18 (d) I am (*) one that bear witness of
myself, and the Father that sent me beareth
witness of me.

(d) The Godhead is plainly distinguished
from the manhood, else there were not
two witnesses; for the party accused is
not taken for a witness.

(*) Which place proveth Christ to be
very God, and man.

19 (6) Then said they unto him,
Where is thy Father?
Jesus answered, Ye neither know me,
nor my Father.
If ye had known me, ye should have
known my Father also.

(6) No man can know God, but in Christ
only.

20 These words spake Jesus in the
(e) (*) treasury, as he taught in the Temple,
and no man laid hands on him, (7) for his
hour was not yet come.

(e) This was some place appointed for
the gathering of the offerings.

(*) That is, the place where the vessel
and other things belonging to the Temple,
were kept.

(7) We live and die at the pleasure of God
and not of men; Therefore this one thing
remaineth that we go forward constantly
in our vocation.

21 (8) Then said Jesus again unto them,
I go my way, and ye shall seek me, and
shall die in your (*) sins, Whither I go,
ye can not come.

(8) Because that men do naturally abhor
heavenly things, no man can be a fit disciple
of Christ, unless the Spirit of God frame
him; in the mean season notwithstanding,
the world must of necessity perish,
because it refuseth the life that is offered
unto it.

(*) Because of their rebellion wherein
they did persevere.

22 Then said the Jews, Will he kill himself,
because he saith, Whither I go, ye can not
come?

23 And he said unto them,
(*) Ye are from beneath, I am from above;
ye are of this world, I am not of this world.

(*) He sheweth the difference between
the Gospel, and the subtil wit of man.

24 I said therefore unto you, That ye shall
die in your sins; for except ye believe,
that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.

25 (9) Then said they unto him,
Who art thou?
And Jesus said unto them,
(*) Even (f) the same thing that I said unto
you () from the beginning.

(9) He shall at length know who Christ is,
who will diligently hear, what he saith.

(*) Or, from the beginning even that which
I said unto you.

(f) That is, I am Christ, and the saviour,
for so I told you from the beginning that
I was.

() That is, who he was, whence he was
and why he came into this world.

26 (10) I have many things to say, and
to judge of you, but he that sent me, is
true, and the things that I have heard of
him, those speak I to the world.

(10) God is the revenger of Christ's
doctrine despised.

27 (11) They understood not that he
spake to them of the Father.

(11) Even the contempt of Christ maketh
for his glory, which thing his enemies shall
feel at length to their great smart.

28 Then said Jesus unto them, When ye
have (*) lifted up the Son of man, then
shall ye () know that I am () he, and that
I do nothing of myself, but as my Father
hath taught me, so I spake these things.

(*) Their endeavors and practices whereby
they think to destroy him, shall serve to
exalt and magnify his glory.

() Not to believe in him, but to be
convicted.

() To wit, the Messiah.

29 For he that sent me, is with me; the
Father hath not left me alone, because I
do always those things that please him.

30 ¶ As he spake these things, many believed
in him.

31 (12) Then said Jesus to the Jews which
believed in him, If ye continue in my word,
ye are verily my disciples,

(12) The true disciples of Christ continue
in his doctrine, that profiting more and
more in the knowledge of the truth, they
may be delivered from the most grievous
burden of sin, into the true liberty of
righteousness and life.

32 And shall know the truth, and the truth
shall (g) make you free.

(g) From the slavery of sin.

33 (h) They answered him, (*) We be
(i) Abraham's seed, and were never bond
to any man; why sayest thou then, Ye
shall be made free?

(h) Some of the multitude, not they that
believed; for this is not the speech of men
that consent unto him but of men that
are against him.

(*) These were not the believing Jews,
but the mockers that answered thus.

(i) Born and begotten of Abraham.

34 Jesus answered them, Verily, verily
I say unto you, that whosoever
committeth sin, is the (*) servant of sin.

(*) Romans 6:20; 2 Peter 2:19 .

35 And the servant abideth not in the
house forever; but the Son abideth forever.

36 If the Son therefore shall make you
free, ye shall be free indeed.

37 (13) I (*) know that ye are Abraham's
seed, but ye seek to kill me, because my
word hath no place in you.

(13) Our wicked manners declare, that
we are plainly born of a devilish nature, But
we are changed, and made of the household
of God, according to the covenant which he
made with Abraham by Christ only,
apprehended and laid hold on by faith; which
faith is known by a godly and honest life.

(*) He granteth their sayings in such sort,
that he sheweth unto them that their own
deeds prove them liars.

38 I speak that which I have seen with
my Father; and ye do that which ye have
seen with your father.

39 They answered, and said unto him,
Abraham is our father. Jesus said unto
them, If ye were Abraham's children, ye
would do the (*) works of Abraham.

(*) Which were his obedience, charity
and such good works which proceeded
of faith.

40 But now ye go about to kill me, a man
that have told you the truth, which I have
heard of God; this did not Abraham.

41 Ye do the works of your father.
Then said they to him, We are not born
of fornication; we have one Father, which
is God.

42 Therefore Jesus said unto them, If
God were your Father, then would ye
love me, for I proceeded forth, and
came from God, neither came I of myself,
but he sent me.

43 Why do ye not understand my (k) talk?
Because ye cannot (*) hear my word.

(k) Or, language, as though he said, you
do no more understand what I say, than
if I spake in a strange and unknown
language to you.

(*) For you are carnal and cannot
understand spiritual things.

44 (*) Ye are of your father the devil,
and the lusts of your father ye will do.
He hath been a murderer () from the
(l) beginning, and (m) () abode not in
the (n) truth, because there is no truth in
him. When he speaketh a lie, then
speaketh he of his (o) () own, for he is
a liar, and the (p) father thereof.

(*) 1 John 3:8 .

() Since the first creation of man.

(l) From the beginning of the world, for
as soon as man was made, the devil cast
him headlong into death.

(m) That is, continued constantly, or
remained not.

() It followeth then that he was once in
the truth; for he was not created evil.

(n) That is, in faithfulness, and uprightness,
that is, kept not his creation.

(o) Even of his own head, and of his own
brain or disposition.

() According to his wont and custom.

(p) The author thereof.

45 And because I tell you the truth, ye
believe me not.

46 (14) Which of you can rebuke me of
sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not
believe me?

(14) Christ did thoroughly execute the
office, that his Father enjoined him.

47 (*) He that is of God heareth God's
words; ye therefore hear them not, because
ye are not of God.

(*) 1 John 4:6 .

48 (15) Then answered the Jews, and
said unto him, Say we not well that thou
art a Samaritan, and hast a devil?

(15) The enemies of Christ make their
bravery for a while, but the Father will
appear at his time to revenge the reproach
that is done unto him in the person of his
Son.

49 Jesus answered, I have not a devil,
but I honor my Father, and ye have
dishonored me.

50 And I seek not my own praise; but
there is one that (q) seeketh it, and
(*) judgeth.

(q) That is, that will revenge both your
despising of me, and of him.

(*) Who will revenge the injury that you
do against me, or rather against him.

51 (16) Verily, verily I say unto you, If a
man keep my word, he shall never (r) see
death.

(16) The only doctrine of the Gospel
apprehended by faith, is a sure remedy
against death.

(r) That is, he shall not feel it; for even in
the midst of death, the faithful see life.

52 (17) Then said the Jews to him, Now
know we that thou hast a devil.
Abraham is dead, and the Prophets; and
thou sayest, If a man keep my word, he
shall never taste of death.

(17) Against them which abuse the glory
of the Saints, to darken Christ's glory.

53 Art thou greater than our father Abraham,
which is dead? And the Prophets are dead;
whom makest thou thyself?

54 (18) Jesus answered, If I honor myself,
my honor is (s) nothing worth; it is my
Father that honoreth me, whom ye say,
that he is your God.

(18) There is nothing farther off from all
ambition than Christ, but his Father hath
set him above all things.

(s) This is spoken by manner of agreement;
as if he had said, Be it so, let this report
which I give of myself, be of no force yet
there is another that glorifieth me that is,
that honoreth my Name.

55 (19) Yet ye have not known him, but
I know him, and if I should say I know
him not, I should be a liar like unto you,
but I know him, and keep his word.

(19) There is no right knowledge of God,
without Christ, neither any right knowledge
of Christ without his word.

56 (20) Your father Abraham (t) rejoiced
to see my (u) (*) day, and he (x) saw it,
and was glad.

(20) The virtue of Christ shewed itself
through all former ages in the Fathers, for
they saw in the promises, that he should
come, and did very joyfully lay hold on
him with a lively faith.

(t) Was very desirous.

(u) A day is a space that a man liveth in,
or doeth any notable act, or suffereth any
great thing.

(*) Which was to see the coming of Christ
in the flesh; which thing Abraham saw far
off with the eyes of faith,
Hebrews 11:10 .

(x) With the eyes of faith,
Hebrews 11:13 .

57 Then said the Jews unto him, Thou
art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou
seen Abraham?

58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily
I say unto you, before Abraham was, I
(y) (*) am.

(y) Christ as he was God, was before
Abraham; and he was the Lamb slain from
the beginning of the world.

(*) Not only God, but the Mediator between
God and man, appointed from before all eternity.

59 (21) (*) Then took they up stones to
cast at him, but Jesus hid himself, and went
out of the Temple; And he passed through
the midst of them, and so went his way.

(21) Zeal without knowledge, breaketh out
at length into a most open madness; and yet
the wicked cannot do what they list.

(*) John 10:31 .

To locate Articles
Pause for pages to open
and Scroll Down pages .

Gospel of John with Footnotes :
http://www.genevabible.org/files/Geneva_Bible/New_Testament/John_F.pdf

Geneva Bible With Footnotes
http://www.genevabible.org/Geneva.html

1599 Geneva Family Bible
BUY 1 GET 1 FREE
http://www.reformationbookstore.com/genevabibleburgundyfamilyedition.aspx

Graphic Reading for Protestant Minds :
http://www.chick.com/catalog/comiclist.asp#crusaders

More Online Reading for Protestant Minds :
http://www.chick.com/reading/?wpc=reading/default.asp

Smokescreens :
http://www.chick.com/reading/books/153/153cont.asp

Blueprint For A Catholic America :
http://www.chick.com/reading/books/153/153_11.asp

Calvin
http://www.reformed.org/books/institutes/entire.html