Sunday, March 15, 2009

Without Christ we cannot comprehend the love wherewith God loveth us ;

From :
The Geneva Bible
New Testament ,
The Holy Gospel Of Jesus Christ,
According To John Chapter 17

1 Christ prayeth that his glory together
with his Father may be made manifest.

9 He prayeth for his Apostles,
20 and for all believers.

1 These (1) things spake Jesus, and
lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said,
(2) Father, the hour is come; glorify thy
Son, that thy Son also may glorify
thee,

(1) Jesus Christ the everlasting high Priest
being ready straightways to offer up
himself, doth by solemn prayers
consecrate himself to God the Father
as a sacrifice, and us together with himself.

Therefore this prayer was from the beginning,
is, and shall be to the end of the world, the
foundation and ground of the Church of God.

(2) He first declareth, that as he came
into the world to the end that the
Father might shew in him, being
apprehended by faith, his glory in saving
his elect, so he applied himself to that
only, and therefore desireth of the Father,
that he would bless the work which he hath
finished.

2 (*) As thou hast given him () power
over (a) all flesh, that he should give
eternal life to all () them that thou hast
given him.

(*) Matthew 28:18 .

() Christ hath all rule and dominion over
men.

(a) Over all men.

() Which are the elect.

3 And this is life eternal, that they know
thee to be the (b) only very God, and
whom thou hast sent, Jesus (*) Christ.

(b) He calleth the Father the only very
God, to set him against all false gods,
and not to shut out himself and the holy
Ghost, for straightways he joineth the
knowledge of the Father and the
knowledge of himself together, and
according to his accustomed manner,
setteth forth the whole Godhead in the
person of the father; So is the Father alone
said to be King, immortal wise, and
dwelling in light which no man can attain
unto, invisible,
Romans 16:17;
1 Timothy 1:17 .

(*) That is, that they acknowledge both
the Father, and the Son to be very
God.

4 I have (*) glorified thee on the earth, I
have finished the work which thou gavest
me to do.

(*) As well by doctrine as miracles.

5 And now glorify me, thou Father, with
thine own self, with the glory which I had
with thee before the world was.

6 (3) I have declared thy Name unto the
men which thou gavest me out of the world;
(c) (*) thine they were, and thou (d) gavest
them me, and they have kept thy word.

(3) First of all he prayeth for those his
disciples, by whom he would have the rest
to be gathered together, and commendeth
them unto the Father,
(having once rejected the whole company
of the reprobate)
because he received them of him into his
custody, and for that they embracing his
doctrine, shall have so many and so mighty
enemies, that there is no way for them to
be in safety, but by his help only.

(c) He sheweth hereby that everlasting
election and choice, which was hidden
in the good will and pleasure of God,
which is the ground work of our salvation.

(*) Our election standeth in the good
pleasure of God, which is the only
foundation and cause of our salvation,
and is declared to us in Christ, through
whom we are justified by faith and
sanctified,
Romans 8:39 .

(d) He sheweth how that everlasting and
hidden purpose of God is declared in Christ,
by whom we are justified and sanctified,
if we lay hold on him by faith, that at length
we may come to the glory of the election.

7 (*) Now they know that all things
whatsoever thou hast given me, are of
thee.

(*) John 16:27 .

8 For I have given unto them the words
which thou gavest me, and they have
received them, and have known surely that
I came out from thee, and have believed
that thou hast sent me.

9 I pray for them; I pray not for (*) the
world, but for them which thou hast given
me; for they are thine.

(*) That is, the reprobate.

10 And all mine are thine, and thine are
mine, and I am glorified in them.

11 And now am I no more in the world,
but these are in the world, and I come
to thee.
Holy Father, keep them in thy Name,
even them whom thou hast given me,
that they may be (e) (*) one as we are.

(e) He prayeth that his people may peaceably
agree and be joined together in one, that
as the Godhead is one, so they may be of
one mind and one consent together.

(*) That they may be joined in unity of
faith and spirit.

12 While I was with them in the world,
I kept them in thy Name; those that thou
gavest me, have I kept, and none of them
is lost, but the () child of perdition, that
the (*) Scripture might be fulfilled.

() He was so called, not only for that he
perished, but because God had appointed
and ordained him to this end,
Acts 1:16; Acts 4:27 .

(*) Psalm 109:8 .

13 And now come I to thee, and these
things speak I in the world, that they
might have my joy fulfilled in themselves.

14 I have given them thy word, and the
world hath hated them, because they are
(*) not of the world, as I am not of the world.

(*) But are separate by the spirit of regeneration.

15 (4) I pray not that thou shouldest take
them out of the world, but that thou keep
them from evil.

(4) He sheweth what manner of deliverance
he meaneth, not that they should be in no
danger, but that they being preserved from
all, might prove by experience that the
doctrine of salvation is true, which they
received at his mouth to deliver to others.

16 They are not of the world, as I am not
of the world.

17 (f) (*) () Sanctify them with thy truth;
thy word is truth.

(f) That is, make them holy; and that is said
to be holy, which is dedicated and made
proper to God only.

(*) Or, consecrate them to thyself.

() Renew them with thine heavenly grace,
that they only may seek thy will.

18 (5) As thou didst send me into the world,
so have I sent them into the world.

(5) He addeth moreover, that the Apostles
have a vocation common with him, and
therefore that they must be holden up by
the selfsame virtue to give up themselves wholly
to God, whereby he being first, did consecrate
himself to the Father.

19 And for their sakes sanctify I myself,
that they also may be (*) sanctified through
the (g) truth.

(*) Which thing declareth that Christ's holiness
is ours.

(g) The true and substantial sanctification
of Christ, is set against the outward purifyings.

20 (6) I pray not for these alone, but for
them also which shall believe in me,
through their word,

(6) Secondly he offereth to God the Father,
all his, that is, how many so ever shall
believe in him by the doctrine of the Apostles;
that as he cleaveth unto the Father receiving
from him all fullness, so they being joined with
him, may receive life from him, and at length
being together beloved in him, may also with
him enjoy everlasting glory.

21 That they all may be one, as thou,
O Father, art in me, and I in thee, even
that they may be also one in us, that the
(*) world may believe that thou hast
sent me.

(*) That the infidels may by experience
be convicted to confess my glory.

22 And the glory that thou gavest me, I
(*) have given them, that they may be
one, as we are one,

(*) I have shewed them the example and
patron of perfect felicity.

23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may
be made perfect in one, and that the world
may know that thou hast sent me, and hast
loved them as thou hast loved me.

24 (*) Father, I will that they which thou
hast given me, be () with me even where
I am, that they may behold my glory, which
thou hast given me, for thou lovedst me
before the foundation of the world.

(*) John 12:26 .

() That they may profit, and grow up in such
sort that in the end they may enjoy the
eternal glory with me.

25 O righteous Father, the world also hath
not known thee, but I have known thee,
and these have known, that thou hast sent me.

26 (7) And I have declared unto them thy
Name, and will declare it, that the love
wherewith thou hast loved me, may be in
them, and I in (*) them.

(7) He communicateth with his by little and
little, the knowledge of the Father, which is
most full in Christ the Mediator, that they may
in him be beloved of the Father, with the
selfsame love wherewith he loveth the Son.

(*) For without him we cannot comprehend
the love wherewith God loveth us.

As Needed ;
Pause For Pages To Open
and Scroll Each Page
To Find Articles ;

Gospel of John with Footnotes :
http://www.genevabible.org/files/Geneva_Bible/New_Testament/John_F.pdf

Geneva Bible With Footnotes
http://www.genevabible.org/Geneva.html

1599 Geneva Family Bible
BUY 1 GET 1 FREE
http://www.reformationbookstore.com/genevabibleburgundyfamilyedition.aspx

Graphic Reading for Protestant Minds :
http://www.chick.com/catalog/comiclist.asp#crusaders

More Online Reading for Protestant Minds :
http://www.chick.com/reading/?wpc=reading/default.asp

Smokescreens :
http://www.chick.com/reading/books/153/153cont.asp

Blueprint For A Catholic America :
http://www.chick.com/reading/books/153/153_11.asp

Calvin
http://www.reformed.org/books/institutes/entire.html